Sunday, January 24, 2010

Donkeys and Winter Bird

Here's a close-up on how the donkeys are coming along.  I gave them a little ground to stand on.




And here is another bookmark.  I used linen for the background.  This little bird I made using a stabilizing fabric backer because it's silk and was slippy sliding around something terrific.  Next time I'm going to experiment with starch and see if that will help with tucked-under applique.  Maybe it would be a good idea to work on a bigger scale!




The photo doesn't pick up the shiny thread moon that the winter bird is looking at.

And here is one more, an experiment, a sampler of all these new (to me) ways of working.  It is maybe Santa wading through the January lull. 

9 comments:

  1. these are really lookin great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - I love how you're sharing your art with us online. It's like coming over to visit you in your studio without driving over the bridge in the rain. Don't be offended at my laziness, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Diane! Each posting feels like a little party but no dishes to wash. I'm glad you can visit from a cozy nest and not have to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these little donkeys and that wonderful hand stitching...its going to be a beautiful piece.
    Maybe Santa is wonderful!

    Jacky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacky, thanks for your encouragement all the way from Australia. I looked on a google map to see where you are...so far away from California...thank you for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much like your white bird against the white linen. And what a great idea about using a little starch! I am going to tuck that away for future use as I have sometimes struggled with a piece of "slippy-sliding" fabric (love that!) and starch might be the perfect remedy. Thanks! xo Kari

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your donkeys and moon bird. Beautiful use of fabric.
    Suzanna, thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kari, thank you. I will say more about the starch very soon, as I've tried it now.

    ReplyDelete