Monday, June 9, 2014

500+safety pins

Hello everyone!  It has taken several years, but my grandson's quilt is Finally ready for quilting.  I decided to pin, rather than baste the layers together and bought out the pin supplies of several stores.  They are bent safety pins so it's fairly easy to put them through the cloth.  The quilt is quite heavy with all the pins and sounds like a suit of armor when I put it on the table.  It will be satisfying to gradually take the pins out as each area is stitched down.

The next photo shows the beginning of the quilting.  I first started by stitching through all the layers at once, but the back side stitches looked terrible, so I decided to stitch the front and the back to the middle, thin batting layer separately.  I've almost finished one grouping of the hand patterns and then I'll turn the quilt over and do the same area on the back.

Gilly has been resting from her exertions in the Giveaway, but there has been some bird activity to keep us charmed.  Here is the hummingbird.
 

I would like to show you a little video of a backyard bird bath scene, but it is late now, and after two unsuccessful tries at uploading the file, I realize I need to learn more about how to do this task, so, with apologies for incompleteness,  I will say goodnight now and wish us all sound and safe slumbers.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Suzanna - I am happy to say I am wearing the necklace today as I go off to meet a friend for morning coffee and then go to the studio. Wonderful to see you working on a UFO! (unfinished object).
    Squirrels are much on Flossy's mind these summer days. She sends greetings to Gilly! Best wishes, sus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sus, this is good news! It must be so nice to return to your new studio. Gilly has discovered the gophers at the dog park. They pop up out of their holes and let the dogs get right up close...then the dogs become mesmerized and stand like statues waiting for another appearance!

      Delete