Monday, January 16, 2012

Jumping in...

For quite a while I've been watching fellow bloggers do dyeing with natural materials, and suddenly I find myself taking the plunge...cautiously!  I collected some onion skins and dried marigold flowers, laid them on silk, misted them with vinegar and rolled them up.  Now they are steaming in a lovely pot from a garage sale.  There is a lot of uncertainty in my mind as to whether this is the best method...I'm trying a little bit of everything I've seen recommended.  After they're done steaming, I'll let them sit for a week...that is I will try to let them sit for a week without peeking at them.

There are lots of migrating birds around now, so I went down to the bay to see...here are some, reflecting...

A ground squirrel was also surveying the scene:

Lastly here is a January rose...the first thing I saw one morning as I woke up.  It's a bit odd to have roses in January, but I was glad to see it.

That's all for today.

8 comments:

  1. Well good luck with the not-peeking Suzanna! I look forward to seeing what comes out of your pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks very promising so far...I put the bundles on a paper towel overnight and some color has stained the paper already. Perhaps if I put them out of sight, I will not be so tempted to open them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. beware the paper towel doesn't steal too much colour. you don't really need to leave onion skins a week, they are so strong. just unwrap slowly, one layer a day and let it slowly dry. the colour will be stronger at the outer layers, it migrates outwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaite, thanks...Not having to wait suits me just fine...this is very exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzanna -- Oh boy, are you going to be happy! You were smart to use silk, too, because onion skins and silk love each other.

    The January rose is beautiful, what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very tantalizing, opening it slowly, but so far the outer layers are very rich in color and it looks lovely on the silk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure your experiment will be fruitful. I have been tempted to do some rusting but up until today we haven't had any rain in a couple of months. Very rare this time of year...since this is the rainy season in the Northwest.

    Your rose is a beautiful sign. Hope...even in the midst of thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Snail Cloth...this is a good time of year to be doing this experiment...it's very engaging and wondrous to see what happens...we are needing rain too, and there is some in the forecast for this afternoon and on into the week. Hope you get some soon too...

    ReplyDelete