Friday, September 4, 2015

The huntress

Gilly caught a possum. Sigh. It was very quickly dispatched, by her. This event was part of the full moon activities in the (very small) back yard. Size makes no difference when the moon is full, and gentle Gilly's instincts rose to the surface. Instead of a picture of the unfortunate possum, here is herself in the bike basket...

We've been looking at shore birds. Walking at the dog park has become problematical due to bigger dogs with not helpful owners, so until I can learn how to deal with the issue there, we're going other places, by bike. One day a drama among the birds and a crab played itself out right before my very eyes and Ah-Ha, thought I, here is the makings of another Very Small Book!  So to start, I've been embroidering an egret.  It is almost finished. Mostly am experimenting with how to go about it. I love doing the millions of tiny stitches, but am I being practical. Do I need to be practical. That is not a proper question because I will probably go for the millions of tiny stitches because they are such a good antidote to all the crazy stuff elsewhere, but I do consider the question. Anyway, here is the egret this far:

And this is how the owl (see last post) turned out:

Also, in trying out ways of dealing with unsettling events, I am making a list of them and putting them on a special cloth. Here is the tick! Ick! 

The list is growing long. Perhaps it should be a daily practice. 

Thank you all for taking a look, and have a good and safe Labor Day weekend whether or not it is a holiday you celebrate. xo, s. 




12 comments:

  1. Isla got herself into some serious trouble with a juvenile raccoon a year or so back ... the sounds from the woods that night were quite something to behold! So I know that feeling for the fur ones going after the wild ones ........

    Your owl is exquisite, such beautiful stitching! and the "unsettling events" list on cloth sounds like an excellent way to deal with such matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christi, raccoons are so intriguing and scary...I would not want to tangle with one and I'm glad Isla is ok. I've started stitching the unsettling events on the cloth...sort of randomly, just like they happen. Often I think I should wait for a "composition" to unfold in my mind but lately I'm thinking it will be a long wait!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. I've been enjoying doing it so much.

      Delete
  3. All this. and Gilly, i never would have imagined...but
    what is Hers to Claim is hers to claim....
    the list....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What is hers to claim is hers to claim". Those words say it exactly. Thank you, Grace...it puts the shock in perspective...xoxo. Yup, the list. Keeping it up to date and then letting it go.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how it happens, Suzanne, but when you thread an image, that is magic. Yes, a million stitches and yes, a book. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy...I am so grateful for your encouragement...sometimes getting things right seems a very long haul, and then it all gradually becomes itself, which is different from what I had originally imagined, and therein lies the wonder of it all. The book will
      come to be somehow, some-when...

      Delete
    2. I tried to fix the odd spacing on my reply but blogger seems to like it this way, so...

      Delete
  5. should we begrudge them their instincts, I think not; your egret is magnificent! I do love reading about your pro&con ponderings on one million stitches, give or take. How brave to stitch a tick, big dislike......a very scary creepy crawly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saskia, it was actually very satisfying to stitch the tick, and then the other day I worked on a possum...will post photo soon. Afterwards I felt sort of lively...like I had properly digested (as it were) the experience and it was time to celebrate a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your list of "unsettling events", am trying to think how I can adapt the idea to my work. The egret is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete