Monday, November 11, 2013

More experiments

This has turned into a big adventure.  The best dyeing results from my backyard were the nice browns that happened when I tossed apple and maple leaves into the pot, along with the bundles. 
Above is the astonishing marigold bush that grew out of a very small pot from the nursery. The flowers make a warm yellow in a bundle, but I've only tried very small amounts. That's my wondrous first ever lemon tree in the background.

So far my method is to make the bundle...it seems to work best to use moist wool, sprayed with a weak vinegar solution...boil, or simmer it for about an hour, hang it up to drip dry, then let it dry in the oven, where, due to the pilot light, it's quite warm, overnight.  Then pop out of bed and open it before breakfast.

Here are a couple drying and looking prehistoric:

This is today's bundle which is partly clamped with old pennies and round plastic shapes to see if that will yield something interesting:
This cloth was previously dyed (by me), but I'm hoping to deepen the color. It's a fine Italian wool challis or crepe. I've been rolling the cloth around PVC pipes, but this one I tried using two lengths of pipe and an overcloth.  We'll see what happens! I just took it out of the pot, so results won't be available for a couple of days.

Now, some results.  These are 4 light wool scarves (ordered from Christine Mauersburger's Hank and Spool), dyed with an assortment of leaves...the browns are from my backyard leaf fall; the wonderful orange imprint comes from local eucalyptus leaves.  (The persimmon is from the tree in the front of the house.  I haven't yet figured out how to persuade much color to come out of its leaves.) 

I have been reading and re-reading India's book Eco Colour for guidance about all this, and especially about Eucalyptus, of which there is a LOT around here.  Not all of them are beloved by the local inhabitants, but by the freeway grows this tree, a Eucalyptus Pulverulenta (I think), from which I harvested windfall, yielding the results above:

And here is Miss Gilly, watching the crows circle around the persimmon tree.  The fruit on top is quite ripe and the birds are feasting regularly.  Also the raccoons.  But so far no one has bothered the ones I set out on the window sill to ripen.  What a harvest this year!


13 comments:

  1. wonderful results. sometimes wrapping around cut branches from a tree gives added color. love seeing those hanging bundles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deanna...OH! good idea...do you mean using a branch instead of the pipe...that makes sense, I'll try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanna, when I was in China I learned to freeze the very late persimmons on the outside windowsill and they beacame a custardy icecream inside - would work in your feezer. These amy not be the right variety of course, but if they are the freezing is great. Also dried persimmons are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth...I've heard of doing that...freezing them, but never tried it, but I will...my new fridge has lots of room in the freezer. There's a Japanese market nearby by sells wonderful dried persimmons, but I think they use a special recipe...they are soft and powdered...tender and delicious, but when I tried drying them, my results were not so good. Perhaps I'll see if I can find a better recipe...thanks!

      Delete
  4. Suzanna, loved this. Apple and maple is doable for me, I might try that! Except I'll have to wait until next year because the maple leaves are either dried up or blown away already. We're on the same wavelength, I made up some leafy bundles this morning, too! You must be so inspired from having been with India Flint. Every time I see her books laying around the house, I wish, wish, wish I could do a workshop with her. Have a great week and thanks for passing on your knowledge and inspiration both! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy, It was a very inspiring workshop, in so many ways and her books are so full of help! I can't absorb it all right away and so keep returning and then find a key to begin unlocking the next door. There are all kinds of leaves in my pot now, and I put in the leftover dye from the copper pot also...my experiments aren't very scientific! But I have definitely learned that steaming a bundle gets it much hotter than boiling...I inadvertently melted some plastic clamps whilst steaming a bundle! But they did fine in the boiling pot.

      Delete
  5. EVERYTHING about this makes me sooooooo happy, Suzanna ... think I can feel your happiness most of all. Gilly girl seems to enjoy keeping a watchful eye on all the goings-on ~ she is perfect ledge size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christi! I wish you could see Gilly when she is actually sitting on that ledge...in this photo she is standing, and each time I try to snap a picture of her sitting posture, she moves away. I think she doesn't yet feel comfortable with giving away the secret of how she fits in that narrow space. Maybe someday...

      Delete
  6. Oh I wish I were there to experiment with you, dear Suzanna. Waving and blowing kisses to you and the darling Gilly,
    sus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all those wonderful things! I need to hurry up and do some bundles before everything disappears for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I am so much more aware that fall is just here for a short while since I've been paying more attention to the leaves

      Delete
  8. Ahhh sorry I missed this Suzanna .... (that's how it is from time to time)
    Lóve your bundle ánd the result ! It must be great to try all kind of things you learned at India's workshop .... and can re-read in the book (I have the book too ... but that makes a difference :-( .....)
    Eucalyptus don't grow here but you can buy some branches for Christmas decorations now .... ;-)

    ReplyDelete